Monday, January 5, 2015

polar bear plunge


What better way to ring in the new year than to jump into freezing water? My resolution (in 2015 and beyond) is to enjoy life and not let fear or obligations hold me back, which is why I said yes when my brave pal Liz asked if anyone was interested in joining her in the Coney Island Polar Bear Plunge.


I'm so happy that I did! I met up with Liz, Nick, and about a thousand other insane people at Coney Island. It was freezing, and I was glad that we pre-registered for the first wave of plungers. I don't know if it was the adrenaline or bright sunshine, but I wasn't even that chilly when I undressed. We were surrounded by people in all sorts of costumes, and everyone started chanting "U.S.A! U.S.A!" for no apparent reason. When the announcer sounded the horn, we stampeded into the surf. For the first few moments, I wasn't even cold. It was exhilarating! Then my legs felt like a million little needles were sticking in them, so we hustled back to shore.

Chalk this up to my list of once-in-a-lifetime only-in-New-York experiences. Here's to more fun, more happiness, and more crazy adventures in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment