Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the art of nothingness


After working like crazy all weekend, I finally finished my story yesterday and gave myself the evening off...to do nothing! Let me first explain that it's against my nature to laze about. I come from a long line of do-ers (as long as I can remember, my dad would pick the carpet clean of dirt while watching TV), so it's in my genetic makeup to constantly be working, cleaning, seeing, exercising, or socializing. But I've decided that I'd like to try to learn the art of nothingness; to master the skill of sitting still without the little wheel in my brain going round. Last night I dipped my toe into that pool: I tuned out my deadlines and that pile of dishes in the sink, and read part of a book and watched the tail end of a cheesy girl movie. It was pretty delightful. I should do nothing more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment