Monday, September 12, 2011

body talk


The thing I like best about about my job is that I'm constantly learning and challenging myself. I recently interviewed a psychologist and body confidence expert on the negative images and self-talk that constantly surrounds women. For me, it's a tricky line to toe: Are the weight-loss articles that I write helpful or harmful? The content is empowering, but display copy like "so long, flabby arms!" and "bikini-ready body" is a bit hard to swallow. On a personal level, I've never been happier in my own skin. It makes me sad when people deprive themselves or nit-pick their beautiful bodies. As a reminder to myself, though, I'm going to make a conscious effort to stop saying things like "you look great, have you lost weight?" and go for "you look radiant!" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment