Friday, June 15, 2012

mom (and dad) time


Howdy from North Carolina! I'm here for a long weekend to spend some time with my mom and visit my dad on Father's Day. In the whirlwind after my dad passed, I have to admit that I wasn't pumped about the burial. I mean, there you are, hours after the biggest shock and sadness of your life, having to make about 50 decisions involving thousands and thousands of dollars. Imagine planning a wedding in one day, but with an extra layer of grief and weirdness on top. Who wants to be the grinch that asks the soothing-voiced funeral director how much extra that bronze-plated headstone or in-memorial slideshow costs? Me, apparently. I definitely inherited my dad's practical, no-frills mindset. (Dude, some of those coffins cost as much as cars!) Although I knew in my heart my dad would've wanted the cheapest option (cremation), I agreed when my mom insisted on a burial. All's well that ends well. It is nice to have a little spot to visit with my dad, to leave flowers, to tell him how much I miss him.

Funny aside: The entrance to my dad's cemetery is located on a fairly busy street in Raleigh, so every time my mom and I drive by, we always yell "hi, babi!" or "hi, dad!" as if we were strolling by him in the kitchen. Kind of silly, but I think he loves it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment