Tuesday, February 18, 2014

surfing in the snow



This winter won't bring us down! This past weekend, the surf report actually looked good, so I mentally committed to DOING IT. Fortunately, Ruth and a bunch of other ladies were also planning on going, so she offered her condo as a meeting and changing spot. She is truly awesome! It turned out to be such a blast. On Saturday, the waves were good, so a ton of people came out. It took me a while to adjust to the freezing water and the heavy gear, so I didn't surf great; wiped out a ton, embarrassed myself plenty, and caught maybe two. But who cares! I was just stoked that I made it out, and I have to admit that I felt pretty bad ass trudging through shin-high snow to the surf. And it was so nice to change in Ruth's warm place and eat pizza instead of shivering on the boardwalk and then huddling in Dunkin Donuts like a hobo. We had so much fun that I left my board and her place and went out again on Sunday. Liz and I had a whole jetty to ourselves, and although the waves were much smaller, it was still fun and I caught a handful of little ones. The best part was when we were heading back to the condo, I hopped over a fence and face-planted into the snow. Ha. All in all, a rad time, and it was nice meeting so many inspirational and like-minded folks. I love people who just go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment