Thursday, February 10, 2011

a new chapter


In my life, I've up and quit a total of three jobs. The first was at the mall's pizza place, because the manager was a really creepy old guy who tried to promise me the world—and 20 percent discounts at the GAP. The next was my first full-time gig, which involved an exhausting 4-hour subway-train-van commute daily. But giving notice at my current job was a exponentially harder: I enjoy what I do, adore my co-workers, and love the new head honcho. Those things, along with the fact that I'm a fan of the whole steady-paycheck-and-health-insurance thing, made my decision incredibly tough. So why did I do it? Four words: You only live once. It's easy for me to lose myself in the day-to-day stuff, and let my daily routine interfere with all the things I want to do before I die. Seeing my parents get sick and friends pass away has made me realize that the present is really all you know for sure, so you have to treasure it. Trading in security for uncertainty is scary, but it's also exciting and fun, and it makes me grateful that I'm alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment