Wednesday, August 24, 2011

6 things... (handy tips version)


I may earn a living sharing expert advice, but when it comes to my own life, there a few tricks that I haven't spilled. Until now. Here are a few things that make my life a little easier/better/happier:

1. Online coupons. Before I buy anything (shoes, wedding gifts), I always hunt around for an online coupon. I've saved hundreds—if not thousands—of bucks with a few key strokes! Also, the pause forces me to reevaluate whether I really need to buy another tank top.
2. Chocolate-peanut-butter veggie smoothies. If left to his own devices, Erik would subsist on a completely beige diet. I like to remedy that by adding tons of spinach to our dessert! I pop a few big handfuls of the dark leafy green into our Vita-Mix along with some almond milk, frozen banana, a cocoa packet and some peanut butter. It's sweet, decadent and healthy. Yum.
3. The public bathroom maneuver. When I lived in Bed-Stuy, I used to walk home from my office a few times a week. It was a good two-hour journey, so I'd often be stuck without a public restroom. Over time, I perfected this move: A. Pretend you're on your cell phone or looking for a pal as you walk into a restaurant or bar. B. Find bathroom. C. Make speedy exit. D. If the hostess makes eye contact, smile sweetly and say "thanks."
4. Cheesy, catchy music. I'm surrounded by a lot of music snobs, so when I first started running, I loaded up my iPod with lots of fun indie rock and hiphop jams. Uh-uh. Not gonna cut it. If you want to run real distances and train, you need lots and lots of crappy bubblegum pop and techno. Now I listen to those NOW! THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! kinda mixes. Also, some Girl Talk.
5. Lists. You already know that I adore making lists. Not only do they help keep me on track, but they also keep me calm. Whenever I feel stressed about anything, I jot down what's freaking me out, how I'm going to tackle it and all of the little steps that will get me there. It provides a sense of control in crazy situations.
6. Mint, Capitol One Rewards and eTrade. These sites help me maintain a budget, earn free money and manage a portfolio. Yup, all three get my co-sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment