Sunday, October 6, 2013

wedding recap: best day ever



Looking back, I realized that I haven't written about my experience as a bride! Here's a recap for posterity's sake:


As I mentioned before, the week leading up to our wedding was hectic. Mom and Tim got into town on Monday to spend some quality time. We ate delicious food, saw the Lion King on Broadway, walked the High Line, and went on a cruise around Manhattan. My mom was happy having our little family together, and seeing her smile made all the running around (I had to sneak in errands and work at night) worth it! Poor Tim got sick, and there was a string of unfortunate events -- but it all turned out fine in the end. At our pre-wedding dinner at M Shanghai, surrounded by our families and out-of-town friends, it hit me: This is happening. Chalk it up to seven years together, but we didn't feel nervous...just excited!


On the morning of the big day, we slept in. Heaven! We lingered in bed, chatted about our excitement, and laughed with Monkey. Around noon, Sarah and Heather picked me up to cart over stuff, and we grabbed burgers for lunch. Because Heather worked her incredible pro set-up magic, all I had to do was get ready with my mom, aunt, and friends. Pre-wedding, we drove around Greenpoint with Mous and Sara to take pictures; it felt so calm and joyful. I chuckled at the people slyly taking pictures of us on their iPhones as we posed in front of the Manhattan skyline; it was payback for all the times I've done that.

The ceremony itself was one of the best experiences of my entire life. It's surreal to see all of your loved ones smiling at you; I kept thinking, "hey, what are they doing here?" Mous did a beautiful job officiating. Since Erik and I wrote the script, we knew what he was going to say -- so I found myself laughing before the words came out of his mouth. My favorite parts were remembering my sweet dad and exchanging looks with Erik. At one point, my cheeks ached from grinning so much. As we walked down the aisle to our friends spinning their hand drums, I felt pure happiness, untouched by any other emotion.

We took the elevator straight up to the reception and kicked off the party. It's true what they say: It goes by in a flash. I loaded up on delicious drinks, apps, tacos, and ice cream sandwiches (I definitely wasn't one of those brides that forgets to eat!), jumped in the photo booth, and laughed with my dear friends. At one point, I remember looking around the rooftop and seeing so many happy faces, and just feeling...proud. Above all, Erik and I's main goal was to make sure that everyone had a fun time (haven't we all been to a boring wedding?!), and I think we managed to pull it off! It was truly one of the best days of my life, and I'm so incredibly grateful to have such the most amazing partner, family, and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment