Monday, February 15, 2016

a little old, a lot new



Can you believe all of that food was just $20? I spent last week with my mom in North Carolina, and we had lunch at K&W Cafeteria one day. This relic has not changed in decades. It has the same weird-patterned carpet and 65-plus clientele. I was immediately transported to childhood when I grabbed my plastic tray and answered the "heeeullp yeewww?"s down the buffet line. There's the same menu: Southern classics like Jell-O salad, roast beef, fried okra, and a pie assortment. There's even a gross bowl of mints with a spoon at the check-out. Take that, health department!

I think I clung to K&W's sameness because everything else in my life is in flux. Much of our stuff is boxed up, and we're starting to clear out our furniture on Craig's List. This trip to NC will be my last time seeing mom until the fall - after we add another person to our family. The chaos surrounding change is always a little unsettling, but I'm doing my best to embrace this next adventure in our life!

No comments:

Post a Comment