Tuesday, February 2, 2016

freelance life: maternity leave



When it comes to freelancing, there are countless benefits: the freedom, home office, a cute furry coworker, flexible vacation days. I've been so thankful that I can take a nap in the middle of the day. (Seriously, pregnant office workers, how do you do it?)

Unfortunately, paid maternity leave is not one of the perks.

Figuring out maternity leave as a freelancer isn't easy. I worry that if I drop out of the market, editors will forget about me, and I'll never work again. Of course, that's catastrophic, but there is an element of truth to it. Plus, I love my career and don't want to give up my salary.

So here's our plan: I'm taking two complete months off after baby's birth. Since I'm on contract at a few places, I notified those editors in advance, and offered a few strategies (finding a fill-in person or shuffling around the deadlines). They were all lovely and accommodating. In August, I'll come back part time to those editing gigs — and then feel out what I can do with my other piecemeal work. Since Erik is planning on working from home until he finds an office space, I figure I'll be able to carve out at least two days worth of work per week, broken into chunks. But I'm keeping an open mind, because who knows what reality will be like; at some point, I imagine we'll find part-time childcare.

In the meantime, I've been front-loading this year. In other words, I'm meeting deadlines like mad. It works out, since I'm mostly home-bound this winter anyways. I've made enough headway into my year-end goal to feel comfortable about the unexpected post-baby.

All in all, I feel like it's a good deal. I'm stoked that we have the flexibility to stay home with our little one and still pursue our career dreams and ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment