Sunday, October 16, 2011

vacation part 2: three days in Rome


When we were planning this trip, Italy was an afterthought. Paris was our desired destination, but since we could tack on an additional city for just a little extra, we settled on Rome. It was fortuitous: We adored every moment there! The people were warm, the food delicious and the sights amazing. Everywhere we turned, there was something incredible to look at.



Again, our hotel, Hotel des Artistes, was nothing to write home about, but we spent all of our time roaming around. The Trevi fountain and Pantheon in particular took my breath away (try seeing them at night!). We walked so much that, by the end of the trip, we had multiple songs about our aching feet. The silver lining? I was always hungry.


That was a good thing, because the food was beyond incredible. I'll never forget a three-hour meal we had in Travestere: the lemon-ricotta ravioli melted in my mouth. We also loved the paper-thin pizza we ate at a local spot. Of course, every meal was washed down with chianti and finished with creamy tiramisu.



A few favorite moments: At the Villa Borghese gardens, we floated around the lake on a row boat; it felt like a dream. And I rang in my 33rd year at the Vatican. Although I've learned plenty about the Sistene Chapel, nothing prepared me for seeing Michaelangelo's ceiling in person. It's definitely a lifetime must-do!


On the flipside, we also hung in San Lorenzo, a very up-and-coming Bushwick-like neighborhood. There was graffiti on the walls (even the ancient ones!) and cool kids hanging in the piazza. It was nice to make a connection with some lovely, friendly homies. All in all, the trip was magical; it made me realize how truly blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment