Saturday, October 6, 2012

marathon training, post four

Between my cold and surf trip, I've barely run over the past week and a half. So I was pretty nervous about tackling the 20-miler that I missed last weekend. After all, a quick five-mile run on Tuesday had left me feeling winded. Here's how it went:

In typical dummy fashion, I chowed down on a huge meal of fish tacos, sangria, and truffle fries on Friday. In the morning, I was still too full, so I chugged some coffee and a protein smoothie and tucked a pack of Swedish fish and a freebie PowerBar gel into my pocket. Off I went! The weather was warm, so I worked up a sweat running over the Williamsburg bridge and around the East River. All of the runners were out in full force -- a parade of people covered in water bottles and brightly colored synthetic fabrics. To entertain myself, I listened to an audiobook (Lisa See's Dreams of Joy) as I ran down the tip of Manhattan and up the west side. It's a good book, but a little slow, so I switched to tunes after I passed David Blaine getting electrocuted over on one of the piers. (Seriously, David Blaine?) My legs felt surprisingly strong as I headed across town to Central Park for my final six miles. I choked down that chemically-tasting gel (note to self: pack enough candy/Shot Bloks for the race) and cruised until the final two miles. At that point, something shifted and I could NOT wait to be done; my legs hurt and I was dying to walk. But then...my Garmin beeped 20. Hallelujah! The run was such a confidence boost and my splits (about 10:33/mile, including trips to the water fountain and waiting at stop lights) were decent. Only 6.2 more on November 4...

No comments:

Post a Comment