Monday, December 28, 2015

holiday crunch time



Hope everyone had the most lovely holiday! Mine was pretty hectic. My cute mom got out of rehab for her broken hip, so I spent the week helping her transition. We went to the doctor's, met with her nurse and physical therapist, filled her prescriptions, and filled out a bunch of medical paperwork (ugh, why is our healthcare system so effed?). Mom still needs a lot of assistance walking and doing simple tasks, so I did about a zillion other errands, like filling her fridge and cooking a bunch of food. We also carved in time to watch the new Star Wars movie, visit dad's grave, and go to the Asian grocery store in Cary (bonus: I got to eat my favorite zongzi breakfast on Christmas morning, pictured above). Phew! It's not easy, especially since I'm still dealing with some pregnancy fatigue.

The other week, a sweet friend asked if I felt any resentment for having to help out. I've been thinking about her question, and I'd be lying if I said I was doing it all with pleasure and grace; it's exhausting and, at times, overwhelming. But it's part of life, and I know these challenges have taught me so much and given me strength. I think, in a way, it's also one of the reasons that I feel ready for motherhood. Because I know, from experience, that I can handle the big things: be responsible (and sacrifice) for another person, deal with a life crisis/emergency, ask for help when I need it, and let go of things out of my control.

No comments:

Post a Comment