Sunday, March 13, 2016

pregnancy lately: 28 weeks



Hello, third trimester! I can't believe we're in the home stretch now. (Full disclosure: This pic is from the end of my 27th week, but you get the idea.)

How I'm feeling: Besides my huge belly, I'm feeling like my old self again. Erik and I have been running around Los Angeles, exploring our neighborhood and setting up our home, and I haven't missed a beat. I'm a little slower on my feet and get breathless when walking up stairs. One weird new development: My hands are really achy, almost arthritic-like, in the mornings. I think it's because I always wind up on my back during sleep, restricting circulation and causing swelling.

What I'm wanting: I've read that pregnant women have an innate desire to nest, but that was pushed to the back burner during our move crisis. Now that we're mostly settled, it's kicked in … and I'm on a mission to get baby gear. My rational brain knows that we still have a few months, and there's no need to get everything at once since newborns don't need much. But lately my emotional brain has won, which is why we went to the baby store yesterday. Doing my best to not succumb to marketing and the culture of consumerism, but it's tempting to fall into the "but I want my baby to be safe and happy, so I NEED this $200 electronic warmer thingie!" trap.

What I'm surprised about: The other day, I heard Erik saying, "ohhhh!" from the other room, while I was Googling baby gear. My immediate reaction: "Man, he's watching a music video while I'm doing all the research." I wandered over to his office, and caught him saying "ohhhh!" in reaction to a YouTube video of a V-blogger shutting a stroller with one hand. That man. I love him. (And a reminder that I should never jump to huffy or irrational conclusions.)

What I miss: Our new place is surrounded by so many delicious Japanese restaurants, and I've been so jealous of Erik's spicy salmon rolls and bowls. I also miss my friends, of course, which has got me thinking about making new neighborhood friends for the first time in forever. Should I join a mom's group?

What I love: A few of our dear friends/family are also pregnant/new parents. It's been so wonderful sharing updates and getting advice. Also loving: hearing my mom's joy; feeling baby's kicks inside; and watching Erik become the best dad already. It's also been fun getting congratulations and encouraging smiles from random strangers, now that I'm obviously pregnant.

At the start of this pregnancy, I thought it'd be an experience that I'd want to end as quickly as possible … but I'm actually enjoying this journey. As a tried-and-true tomboy, I've never felt more womanly. What a scary, exciting, and beyond special time … I can't wait to become a mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment