Monday, November 14, 2011

kinda sorta recipes


Happy Monday, friends. We had a super lazy weekend over here. I tidied up, went running and did a few around-the-house projects. I also went a little crazy in the kitchen and whipped up a bunch of dishes. Instead of using exact measurements, I decided to wing it—with a lot of success! Here were three of my favorite kinda-sorta recipes:

1. Quiche lorraine: I beat four eggs with a cup of half-and-half, and mixed in salt, pepper, nutmeg, bacon, caramelized onions and gouda. Then I poured into a baked pie shell. (Whole Foods makes the best frozen whole-wheat vegan kind.) After 30 to 40 minutes in a 375F oven, it was perfection!

2. Butternut squash soup: I tossed butternut squash in olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted at 380F for 30 to 40 minutes. Then I blended it with veggie broth, soy milk, sauteed onions, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and curry, plus more salt and pepper to taste. Served with homemade croutons (bread cubes tossed in olive oil, oregano, paprika and Parmesan, then baked or pan-toasted).

3. Apple-fig compote: This was super delish alongside pork tenderloin and roasted brussel sprouts. I sauteed diced apples with a little olive oil and garlic, then added in some veggie broth. I stirred in a spoonful of fig butter, a drizzle of balsamic and some cinnamon, salt and pepper. Then I cooked down until it was soft and mushed some of it with the back of my spoon. Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment