Tuesday, June 18, 2013

getting there!


See that happy face? That's the smile of a woman who sees the finish line of wedding planning (in front of the built-in succulents at my venue to boot, wahoo!). I'd be lying if I didn't admit that settling on a place was tricky -- and that we didn't have our share of exasperated tiffs. But, in the end, I'm grateful for this whole process: It's forced us to work together, lay our money issues on the table, reexamine our values, and hash out family complexities. It's like a pre-marriage bootcamp! Both of us also have unique circumstances where our families rely on us more than the average 30-something, which has presented new challenges and brought us even closer together. Planning this thing has also been a terrific exercise in staying true to myself; it's all too easy to fall into "others-are-doing-this" and "must-be-nice" traps. Erik is awesome about not caring about convention (for the most part), and it's reminded me that this event, much like a relationship, doesn't have to be perfect -- it just has to be perfect for us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment